Friday, July 24, 2009

Should you buy a $400 faucet?

I answered a thread on GardenWeb/bathrooms the other day where a writer was asking for opinions or permission to pay $400 for a Grohe faucet she was in love with. As I have written in past blogs faucets can be a very personal purchase and involve a lot of emotions. After all a housewife may spend more time with her kitchen faucet than any other item in her day to day life, including her husband. With this thought in mind it should be pleasant to the sight, comfortable in the hand and certainly should be reliable, sort of like her husband. So would you scrimp on money or less be careful on choosing the spouse or maybe the solution is a spouse with money?? LOL. Well maybe that’s a bad analogy but does point out that a faucet can be an important purchase and money may not always be the determining factor. Long term quality is important to me, whereas another writer stated that he wasn’t going to buy an expensive faucet because they were easily replaced and he figured he could spend $100 instead of $400 on a faucet any time over 1 year of service was profit to him. His opinion was that faucets are easy to replace. I wonder how long it takes him to get around to replacing it? How angry does his spouse have to get to have him do it? How do they get by when the faucet falls apart in the middle of Thanksgiving dinner and his local big box store is closed? I answered the thread that I felt there was no replacement for quality. I drive a Mercedes, all be it a very old Mercedes, but it is still a quality automobile and even after 20 years when I get in it to go somewhere it fires right up and takes me down the road and safety and never ceases to make me feel good driving it. Could I have bought a car that would have given me good service? Maybe but would I have loved it all these years? Probably not. So should the lady buy her $400 faucet because she loves it? I say absolutely.

No comments: