Friday, July 10, 2009

Is it Tweet or Chirp?

Man I’m feeling especially old today. Most of you know that I am a very young 61, which is defined by my children as the number of years since dirt was invented on earth or just a few days short of when the serpent tempted Eve. In my thoughts I always relate to the fact that I graduated from college the year that the digital hand held calculator was brought on the market and I have been trying to play catch up on understanding computers and such ever since. I first laid hands on a PC in 1988 I didn’t own my first PC until 1997 and then there was the internet. I got AOL at the same time and I am still so afraid of it that I have never even changed my provider or email address in those 12 years. I have struggled to keep up with each new operating system and although I currently have a computer that uses Windows Vista the view isn’t so great from here in my opinion and my best friend (Crash and Burn Hennecy…now you get the idea where the “crash” came from?) has been telling me that I should change to Mozilla? Wasn’t that Godzilla’s mother? What did she have to do with computers? So what has provoked all this today? My good friend, Marcus Morgan, the owner of National Builder Supply , called yesterday with the great idea that I should start “Tweeting”. I told him I was just too old to take up bird watching and besides my disabilities would make it tough to hang around in the forest listening for tweets from some bizarre long missing exotic bird. Now Marcus is not only persuasive but used to getting his way so the next thing I know he’s got a “Twitter” expert on the phone and has me set up with an account complete with followers and followees. At least I think that’s what they have me set up for but the first message I received went something like this “I would love 2 hear tips on home improvement (that use your parts) with link to the part. Make the tip juicy!!”. Now I am not so old as to not understand that one! But that’s not the kind of helpful tips I’ve been offering here on the blogsite but I guess I’m flattered? The damn thing keeps asking me what I’m doing? Hell I’m old and infirm. I’m trying to take my next breath, worried about when I am going to pee again and what’s for dinner! Why would anyone want to know about that?
My heart much less my brain can get wrapped around anymore new technology so if my blogs over the next few weeks seem, strange blame it on me trying to learn how to whistle like a bird. In the meantime of you want to ‘TWEET” at me, follow me at NBSUPPLY and I will try to chirp back atcha or whatever it is I’m supposed to do. Somebody help me or just take a gun, shoot me and mercifully put me out of my computer/internet misery!

No comments: