Wednesday, July 8, 2009

A Quick Fix for an Old Bathroom Mirror







A couple of weeks ago I detailed the fiasco that my little remodeling project had turned into. If you missed it I had an unscrupulous contractor who did a poor job and didn’t fulfill his obligations. I joined Angie’s list and reported him and spread the word amongst my neighbors and friends to spare others the trials that I experienced in dealing with this guy and taught me a good lesson to read my own blogs on ”how to hire a contractor” all of which I feel as if I ignored completely. In the meantime my saving grace was my old friend Erik who came in and made sense of the whole mess and got me in a much better mood.
While Erik was doing his magic he did something that I think was noteworthy and is a great idea for those of you who may have an old medicine cabinet in the wall that drives you crazy and you don’t know what to do about it. As long as we had the bathroom torn up I decided to buy a new vanity to replace an old one that had only doors and no drawers. The vanity I chose came with a great oriental influenced sink and the drawers that I needed. When we opened the box we found that it had come with the bonus of a free matching dark framed beveled glass mirror(see pic above) but with a medicine cabinet over it with the most horrible mirror on it (see pics above) I could not see a use for it. It only took Erik a moment to point out that the old mirror was simply attached with a “piano” styled hinge that would easily adapt to the new mirror. In a matter of a few minutes he had removed the old mirror and attached the new one to the piano hinge and we had added a great new feature to the bathroom. Why tell you all this? You may very well have the same problem. A built in medicine cabinet with the old fashioned or maybe even damaged mirror on it and have just learned to ignore it because of the trouble and expense involved with taking the entire medicine cabinet out and replacing it with a new fancier one. Save yourself some time and effort and look at the hinge. Is it attached to the mirror with screws? If so you can make a simple replacement by just shopping for a new mirror with the correct dimensions and remove the old one from the hinge and replace it. You could easily find a great antique or high styled mirror that would change the entire look of your bathroom without having to give up the convenience of the medicine cabinet.
As seen in the pictures, my next project has to be paint, tile or new wallpaper. My apologies and admitted embarrassment for the old stuff seen in the pics. I just don’t know whether my nerves can take another project for the time being. I wonder if Erik can do tile???

No comments: