Sunday, November 22, 2009

When Do You Do-it-Yourself or Call a Pro?

I am, by nature a DIY guy. That’s what I blog about, generally, yet many times I am more likely to recommend that you call a professional to fix some of the household problems that come up. I basically started out adult life with the philosophy that I wasn‘t gonna wash dishes, cut grass and/or change no babies. Needless to say that marriage and my now ex-wife’s opinion changed my mind. I had grown up in the traditional family of the 50’s (that’s the 1950’s) where the children were expected to help with all those things. After dinner you helped with the dishes, I didn’t cook the food and make the mess why should I have to clean it up? Before a ball game, a date, or other activities Saturdays were devoted to yard work and helping to clean the house. My Dad did help my attitude some by buying the first riding lawnmower in our neighborhood and I was so desperate to drive something that even if I was cutting the grass at least I was driving. After I got rid of the old ball and chain and it was just me and the children I adopted a new philosophy, primarily because I couldn’t get my children to help (as a Dad Im a pushover). My new rule was that I could make more money as an accountant than I could by doing household chores and DIY projects so it was easier to pay a portion of that money to a professional and help stimulate the economy (that’s Reagan trickle down economics for those of you uninitiated). Well at least it sounded like a good plan. When my boys were teenagers we had a live in housekeeper who literally spoiled us all including the family dog. who after we were all gone to school and work, was asked and given whatever he wanted for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The dog I have now, Nate, sampled my cooking when I first got him and has never asked for anything but dog food since.
Today and for the past few years I have been retired and frankly unable to afford the luxury of NOT DOING IT MYSELF. So the new rule is if I know that I am competent on how to do it …I DO. If I can’t then I call “crash and burn” Hennecy, my best friend of 42+ years, who has never let being incompetent keep him from doing anything and nearly getting killed in the process. THEN I CALL A PROFESSIONAL. Needless to say usually after paying for the ensuing damage I would have been better off calling a pro to start with and thus my advice as I give it most of the time today.
Here are some common household problems and their potential solutions:
1. Problem: Your energy bill has gone through the roof, and you still feel a chill.
Solution: The energy auditor or rater. These pros come armed with sophisticated equipment to trace even tiny air leaks and will prioritize problem areas in your home. Some local utility companies will send a contractor to you for a free basic inspection. Cost: Zero to $350.To Find One Check out energystar.gov or the Residential Energy Services Network at natresnet.org for a certified rater.
Consider Doing It Yourself When: Don’t mind wearing extra layers of clothes in the winter time while indoors or alternatively no clothes. Or maybe you want to know more about your house from the insulation out. Check your local utility company's website. Many have relatively easy instructions for do-it-yourself energy audits. Or see the U.S. Department eere.energy.gov/consumer.
2. Problem: Despite your best efforts, your house always seems to be a disaster zone. That is to say the least .
Solution: The house cleaner. One person or a whole crew will do the dirty work for you, whether it's a weekly visit or a job every few months -- all in a couple of hours. I have a great struggling lady who keeps my head above dust on a monthly basis, does a great job and charges $10 per hour. Cost can $80 for a single person to $400 for a crew per visit, ranging from maintenance to a deep cleaning. To find one ask friends for referrals, look for notices on local bulletin boards or ads in local papers.
Consider Doing It Yourself When: You're picky about how clean you actually want things cleaned (my neighbor has to clean her house before the housekeeper comes because she doesn’t want the cleaning lady to see the place dirty when she gets there) or where your son stashes his toys or stashes his stash. It may take a bit longer to get the job done, but you'll have the peace of mind of knowing what's where and that its clean to your standards. As to my housekeeper I figure if she hasn’t quit already then Im safe AND she comes with her own shovel to carry out the mess.
3. Problem: Your bookcases are buckling under their heavy load or maybe you don’t even have a bookshelf.
Solution: The carpenter. A professional knows exactly what to do, from choosing the right materials to finding the proper wall studs that will prevent it all from crashing down. Cost Varies considerably. Count on spending at least a few hundred dollars for multilevel shelves. To Find One Ask friends and neighbors for referrals, or contact your local building association at the National Association of Home Builders' website (nahb.org).
Consider Doing It Yourself When: You relish the chance to act as a handyman and break out your power drill. Find a kit with instructions and hardware at a home-improvement or hardware store.
4. Problem: Your hot water isn’t hot or your cold water isn’t cold.
Solution: Maybe an electrician, maybe a plumber or both? Now this is a tricky one. If your heater is electric you may need a new thermostat, new elements, a new circuit breaker or maybe an entirely new heater ( there’s a fine ,line whether that will be a plumber or an electrician that knows a little plumbing. If it’s a new pressure relief valve maybe a plumber is needed. If your heater is fuel fired roll the dice between a plumber and your local fuel provider. To find one, word of mouth words just like with the other problems, the internet, yellow pages (do we still have yellow pages?) but regardless of where you find one make sure they are licensed and insured. Last week one of my neighbors hired a nice young (22 year old) man to do some electrical work (no license/no insurance) and the worker grabbed a 220v line that he thought was turned off but wasn’t. It took the EMT’s 2 hours to remove the body and the homeowner is responsible for the death and damages.
Consider doing it yourself: I don’t recommend anyone DIY a hot water heater, there is just too much that can go wrong.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

At our house, if it requires "handy man knowledge," then we call the handy man. Otherwise, we end up with a bigger project than we started out having.