Wednesday, November 4, 2009

5 Easy Steps to Green your Kitchen

Over the weekend I was surfing the channels on TV, desperate to find anything other than politics to watch, and ran across a discussion about the amount of bacteria found on kitchen counters, cutting boards and especially the dreaded kitchen sponge. Well suffice it to say I spent the rest of the weekend trying to work out my meager monthly budget so that I could eat out all of my meals from now on because I’m sure that my kitchen will have to be napalmed to get it sanitary. I’m surprised that I haven’t either killed someone or myself with the exotic strains of bacteria that must be growing in my kitchen. I think I will have to have it condemned as a biohazard and apply to the EPA superfund for a grant to have it cleaned. Remember, folks, I’m an ole single guy and even in my good days was never much on cleaning. Consider yourself warned as to the dangers that might lurk in your own kitchen and use the article below from AOL’s “Shelterpop” about how to “green your kitchen in 5 easy steps.

http://www.shelterpop.com/2009/08/14/green-your-kitchen-in-5-easy-steps/

”If you're thinking about improving your carbon footprint, your kitchen might be one of the most important places to start. The ugly truth about what we use to clean our homes is quite unsettling, but if you put your best eco foot forward with these five easy steps, you can have a cleaner, greener and healthier kitchen.
1) Textile Transformation. Consider replacing your current textiles with organic cotton fabrics, reusable dish cloths. Use old dish towels as dust cloths instead of tossing them.
2) Clean Green. Try to use cleaners with less chemicals, like. Replacing a few of your old cleaners with more natural cleaners will instantly help the environment and protect your family against harsh chemical residue and fumes from chemical irritants such as bleach, carpet cleaners, aerosols, air fresheners or ammonia.
3) Just Bamboo It. Use bamboo cooking and baking utensils. A few years ago, I noticed that some of my plastic ones started melting and chipping into my food, and I quickly went out and purchased a fairly inexpensive bamboo products and kitchen accessories.
4) Save Energy. Replace your light bulbs with low-impact lighting, and make good use of natural light whenever possible. If you're in the market for new appliances, be sure to look for Energy Star appliances because they save energy and money!
5) Throw it away and feel OK. Did you know you can even get recycled trash bags or biodegradable cups and dishware? If it absolutely has to be thrown away, why contribute to landfill trash? Go biodegradable, and lose the guilt.”

I hope you find this info helpful and additionally pay more attention to cleanliness in your kitchen. Throw away that kitchen sponge and replace it with easily washed or sanitized textiles that are biodegradable or at least inexpensive enough that you can just toss it out and not feel like you have to keep the thing lying on your sink growing the next form of super bacteria.

No comments: