Tuesday, June 30, 2009

WHAT IS THE ADA AND WHY DO WE NEED IT?


In an effort to give you folks what you want, I have continued to watch my “sitemeter” as to the questions that are being asked or “Googled” that lead them to my blog. As I have mentioned before, for the first few weeks after joining the sitemeter the most frequently asked question was someone seeking complaints or experience ratings on doing business with National Builders Supply. In an effort to answer this question I wrote at least two blogs citing letters furnished to me from my friend Fran Byrd as well as discussing Marcus Morgan’s customer service philosophy. Those blogs seemed to have done the trick because now the trend has turned in a new direction, one which I have addressed before but feel obligated to discuss again.The one nearest to my own needs, the ADA compliant bathroom.
First I guess we should discuss what ADA means. It stands for “Americans with Disabilities Act”. This governmental regulation was enacted a few years back with much celebration and aggravation by the public and especially by business folks. It is a broad sweeping set of regulations which require retail businesses and offices to maintain certain standards as to accessibility for those of us who are handicapped. This means everything from handicapped marked parking spaces, to curb ramps, extra wide entrance doors and exits, and the ubiquitous ADA height toilet (God’s and the government’s gift to us old folks). Honestly as a business man I originally was as against the governments forcing us to put these changes into effect as anyone could be. I saw it as a forced expense as well as an inconvenience to everyone until a few years back I was diagnosed with Parkinson’s Syndrome. As my condition worsened I found it more and more difficult to walk from a far parking space and became thankful for the disabled placard my doctor got for me which allows me to park in a handicapped marked space. I began to appreciate the fact that supermarkets provided the motorized shopping carts that I had once disdained. With every passing day as my disability worsens and I grow less and less able to live on my own I realize that there are a world of people out there who are not as lucky as me. Those folks are still having to find jobs, having to ride buses to get to those jobs, having to negotiate wheelchairs onto sidewalks and into buildings and are having to manage the most personal of daily activities, such as going to the restroom, without any assistance except for the fact that the ADA requires toilet stalls with extra wide doors. higher than normal toilets, sinks that are accessible from a sitting position with faucets that can be easily reached from a wheel chair or while trying to stand on crutches. I say lucky because at this stage of my life I do not have to go to an office every day although I wish I could, but I do still have to live alone and manage most of my day to day activities by myself. I am blessed with a small monthly disability check from Social Security, medicare to help pay some of my medical expenses and of course as I mention all the time I have Mike and Dianne Hennecy, my best friends for 42 years, and Bill and Shirley Whiteside, my neighbors across the street, whose daily help keeps me able to live alone and not have to be in assisted living or a nursing home. Although I try not to drive, I do occasionally have to venture out to the grocery or drug store, or to a doctor visit and that disabled parking spot and the little motorized cart makes it possible. At home I have the advantage of an ADA height toilet, which I brag about constantly and most recently acquired a TOTO Washlet to make my toilet functions easier. I still have to have safety bars in my bathroom and tub, a seat to sit on in the tub and live in fear of a fall every time I go to bathe. My previous blogs about ADA compliant bathrooms in the home called out the easy and the more expensive changes that can be made to the home bathroom to make it easier on disabled and elderly people and if you have not had a chance to read up on those 2 blogs please reference back to them for more specifics. For the time being I am having to take it one step at a time to get mine into the more expensive sort. I still have to deal with a narrow door opening, a step over tub and sometimes awkward faucets but I am getting there. If you have someone in your home or family that is disabled or approaching older age, now is the time to take these things into consideration. If you are planning a remodel or building a new home consider going ahead with the ADA recommendations and lastly if you are a business person who has had to endure the inconvenience of restructuring your place of business to comply with the ADA, know that it is not for naught. Know that it is needed daily by so many people and know that I for one thank you.

No comments: