Wednesday, December 9, 2009

How Do You Get Your Bathtub Clean?

From time to time I run across discussion forum threads where folks share their opinions and ideas for how to accomplish household chores more efficiently. This week I ran across one on the I-Village Garden Web series asking the question….Anyone have a secret to getting their bathtub really clean? My bathtub never seems really clean and white - any secrets?
The following are some of the interesting ideas as well as some warnings about what to use and not use on your bathtub:

1. Try soft scrub with bleach. Before I went *green* with cleaning products, I used to use this stuff and it worked beautifully getting out that sort of gray hazy type thing that collects on white sinks, tubs, etc over time with heavy use.

2. Borax claims that it can put the shine back. I tried it on an old cast iron white tub that is original to a house from the 40" or 50's it looks like a cotton ball it has no shine left. The owner told me to use very fine grit sand paper he said it worked in a house he was rehabbing. It did nothing for the bathtub I was working on but he said it did for his. Newer tubs should never be cleaned with anything abrasive so they keep their shine Bon Ami is a good cleaner. I got to tell you it was really weird using that sander in the tub and loud! It was a last resort kind of thing.

3. It kind of depends on what the problem is. If the finish is shot, it's not going to look splendid no matter what you do. If the problem is just years of crusted on crud, try spraying on Tilex Soap Scum, lavishly, and leaving it on for a while. If you can start shifting gunk after that, keep on with the Tilex.

4. Soft Scrub and Tilex soap scum remover will get the grime/build-up off, bleach will whiten it (one can just spray on bleach clean up a little and let it sit). Clean possible, white possible, shiny maybe not...

5. Baking soda or borax and white vinegar for buildup & general dirt, also helps with mildew if you make a paste & let it sit. Simple Green or X-14 for soap scum & mildew. Oh, and elbow grease

6. Comet has a citrus-based spray-on cleanser that I use on my cast iron tub that keeps it clean and shiny. It's only a few years old, but is still white and shiny. I think that it's about 6% citrus base, which works quite well.


7. I found a Magic Eraser did wonders on my porcelain tub. Try it in a little spot first.

8. I have your secret!!! Lysol toilet bowl cleaner...yes toilet bowl cleaner...it will not damage the finish either.and I have tried it on fiberglass as well. Wear gloves generously apply and let sit a couple minutes...rust is GONE...sparkling clean...cleaner then you have ever seen it. It works better then iron out and does not have the fumes that make me run from the room gasping.. RINSE WELL...one warning IT WILL DAMAGE METAL FIXTURES such as chrome if left on (my son used it on his shower fixtures and it ruined the plating. (USE THIS STUFF SPARINGLY IF AT ALL ON ANYTHING BUT THE TOILET)

9. Comet. It's now no-scratch--works far better than Soft Scrub. Use it with a sponge with a no-scratch abrasive side.

10.
My Mom was visiting many years ago and shared this secret. First scrub the bath tub with a non abrasive agent such as Bon Ami. Rinse. Then fill the tub with cool water. Add a few cups of beach and soak overnight. Not sure how 'green' this is but it certainly made my old tub white & shiny. (make sure you vent the bathroom and close the door).

11. Last but not least my favorite way to keep my bathtub clean and sparkly? I have a housekeeper to come in frequently and I don’t have the slightest idea what she uses but it works for me, bathtub always sparkles!

No comments: