Monday, September 7, 2009

More on Handicap Access and the ADA

In 1990 the United States enacted legislation (The Americans with Disabilities Act) to protect the rights of the disabled in the work place and regarding adequate public access. I have to admit when this law came down, looking at it as a businessman, I thought that it was just another governmental intrusion in our lives and an reasonable expense to businesses. It should be noted, though, that the employment part of the law only applies to businesses with 15 or more employees and should not place an unreasonable burden on businesses. Now that the law has been in effect for almost 20 years we take for granted handicap parking spaces, better public restrooms with handicap access, ramps at curbs, wider entrance doors and a myriad of other things I have become so much of our day to day life that they are invisible. As a disabled person, now, myself I no longer think of these things as unreasonable nor as invisible. In order to continue any semblance of a normal life these things are a necessity to me every day. I have to hope for a close or handicap space in a parking lot, can only shop on my own in stores that furnish the little electric scooters and the idea of having to answer the call of nature away from home would be virtually impossible without restrooms with ADA height toilets and grab bars. But I received a great letter the other day , in response to one of my blogs published in Articles.Com, that reminded me that there is still more work to be done, more places that need to be adapted so that people with disabilities can enjoy some of the same things as everyone else. Here is the letter I received. I have removed specific info regarding the state involved , for the time being.
“A very interesting and useful article. It caused me to think about something I have been pondering for some time. I am a Park Ranger and I have a project in mind that needs a little more ADA knowledge than I possess. At my park we have four cabins of about 900 sq.ft. I am interested in taking one of them and making it fully handicapped accessible - entry, kitchen, bathroom, bedroom, etc. (at the same time, I want to vastly increase its energy efficiency.) My problems are: 1/ I need to know how each room can be improved, and 2/ I don't have any money. Ultimately, if I can figure out how to locate funding, I would like to make the cabin an ADA/Energy Efficiency showplace for the whole state park system, at the minimum. Certainly, I would love to have all four of our cabins meet the same standards, but that's down the road a ways. I would be satisfied if the idea could spread throughout our whole park system.”
My answer was as follows:
“As you may know I am disabled, myself, thus my interest in ADA efficiency as well as being enthused with your idea. I would have thought that you could get funding from your governing source or maybe tap some "stimulus funds". If those are not available then I would be pleased to try to help in some way. Why don't we start by trying to see what it would take construction wise then financially to make it happen. I would suggest you seek out a local architect to draw up some plans and to assist in the costing on a pro bono basis. If you then have a target amount of cost we could work towards getting donations, corporate sponsors or individuals to assist. You would be surprised at how much assistance you can get locally from sources just by asking. Volunteer to speak at local business meetings, Jaycees, Lion’s Clubs , etc. Get your local newspaper involved, churches, radio stations, TV stations etc. Lastly the sponsor of my blog site is National Builder Supply, although I can’t speak for them, their owner is a great young man that might assist by donating some of the plumbing equipment. I don't mind asking when you have your ducks in a row. To further this type of involvement from businesses you would offer a “donations” plaque on the cabin thanking those folks who donated or assisted in the conversion. With some more info about you park and how many more people could use the facilities annually I would also be pleased to use your letter, my answer and other info on one of my daily blogs to see if we can generate some interest.”Obviously the more I thought about the more I wanted to help and additionally to encourage folks to look around your community for places that may have slipped through the cracks and may still need some fundamental help in allowing access to those who have difficulties getting around. Something as simple as deficiencies at your local ball park may be keeping a parent or grandparent from being able to attend a game for a child. If you see a problem see what you can do to offer a fix for it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The 15 employee factor is about ADA employment Title I. Here is the link, just scroll down & each section has a brief summary;

http://www.ada.gov/cguide.htm